Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Finding Purpose.

Nope not finding nemo, finding purpose. As I sit here in my house on Crepe Myrtle, I think about my purpose. I've thought about this a lot lately. Upon graduating and working at Starbucks, I think Satan has really begun to prey on me about my purpose in life. When people find out I've gtaduated, they ask what I'm up to now...I tell them I work at Starbucks and hang out. Apparently most people find this answer unsatisfactory and they give me a weak fake smile, like oh good, when in their minds they are thinking, how lame. Thanks to those of you I know who actually are happy for me:) Anyway, back to purpose. But getting this reaction multiple times has led to me feeling dissatisfied with what I'm doing in life right now. So I've been struggling with this some lately...My life in the scheme of things feels so meaningless, to quote King Solomon, working at a coffee shop and hanging out. There are so many greater things I'm told I could do in my life...But then the Lord brought me back to this book I read last year...Practice in the Prescence of God by Brother Lawrence. Now if you don't know about Bro Law, he's tight. This guy was a dish washing monk for 40 years and loved it because he was able to glorify God while doing it. The book is just a collection of letters and conversations from his life put together by others. As I've been repicking up this book on my 10 minute breaks, God has continually brought me back to the truth, that in EVERYTHING, do it to the glory of the Lord. So there it is...and that is my focus, that's what I want my focus to be continually. And right now, I'm learning that standing in a coffee shop, with lines out the door half the time, unknowing how to make drinks fast enough or how to work the cash register correctly...to God's glory. Yes our lives are short but we can use our circumstances to make HIM known. I'm not sure I know exactly how that works at Starbucks, but I plan to find out.

2 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother Lawrence was the coolest monk ever. You are the coolest number two daughter ever. Keep working the cash register, learning all those drinks, and glorifying God. I love you, Jill

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Ryan Price said...

Good word Kelly, good word!

Don't let the fact that you live in the midst of a bunch of success-driven, money-hungry, change-the-world college students distract you from honoring God where you are right now!

I believe that God has a lot of lessons to teach us through the simple things in life... and most of the time we think that we have bigger and better things to do rather than sit down and listen.

I'm glad we're friends... and I expect there to be a caramel latte waiting for me the next time I come in!

Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home